Garlicky peppered puff puff
What do kids know about dieting? Before 7am, the baby of the house jumped on my bed screaming that he wants ‘puff puff’. It soon became a song on the lips of everyone in the house. I had no choice but to oblige them.
Also, I love the lip-smacking taste one gets from the touch of garlic and the slight heat from the pepper.
Welcome to my world!
Ingredients (puff puff)
- 2 cups warm water/ milk
- 2 tbsp active instant dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder or less (depending on preference)
- 1 tsp dried hot pepper
- 2 tbsp finely-chopped onions
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix salt, sugar, flour, garlic powder, pepper and yeast
- Add vanilla to warm water/milk. Add to the flour and mix well
- Allow the mixture to rise for about 1- 2 hours till it doubles in size
- In a deep sauce pan, pour vegetable oil and place on low heat till moderately hot
- Test to make sure the oil is hot enough by putting a ‘drop’ of batter into it. If it is not hot enough, the batter will stay at the bottom of the pot, rather than rise to the top
- Using your hands, grab a little bit of mixture and drop small balls in the oil.
Fry for a few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown. Flip balls over and fry for a few more minutes until the other side is golden brown
- Remove it from the oil and place on lined Colanders with paper napkins right away to soak up some of the excess oil
- You may want to serve them dusted with some sugar or you can roll them in icing sugar to make it sweeter and yummy for the kids
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.